The selection criteria for Dovedale 2 Ward are applicable to the following and admission will be considered if the service user is:
- 18 years of age and over who identifies as female, irrespective of ethnicity, sexuality, culture or physical disabilities and
- considered to be experiencing a psychiatric disorder that requires care, treatment or further assessment, or
- requiring a period of assessment to establish the presence or nature of a psychiatric disorder, and
- the risks posed and the level of support required are such that the service user requires 24 hour care that cannot be provided in the home environment via home treatment and
- admission is the safest and least restrictive option available.
- This may include people in the acute phase of a severe mental illness such as schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder or severe depressive order and for those with a dual diagnosis of severe mental illness and drug/alcohol, or learning disability, or people with personality disorder and acute mental health needs.
Service users may be admitted voluntarily or detained under the Mental Health Act (sections 2, 3, 4, 5(2)) or Community Treatment Order (CTO). Service users with a forensic history or involvement should not be excluded as long as the Acute Ward provides the most appropriate environment for their care.
SHSC's flow coordination team oversees all referrals for inpatient admission 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
These referrals come from a wide range of services, including Community Mental Health Teams and emergency services such as the police and A&E.
These services can refer a patient for a mental health assessment via our crisis services, such as Liaison Psychiatry, the Out of Hours Team or through our 136 Suite Place of Safety.
Following assessment, this may then lead to the individual being admitted to one of our acute inpatient wards that are facilitated by our team of Flow Coordinators.
Geographical population covered
- The registered populations of NHS South Yorkshire Integrated Care Board (SY ICB)
- People without settled accommodation who are resident in Sheffield.