We are committed to providing the best possible care to our service users. While every effort is made to ensure we provide excellent care, sometimes things do go wrong, and we need you to tell us when they do.

By sharing feedback we can ensure that lessons are learned and that we can continually improve and develop our services.

If you do make a complaint we promise to deal with your concerns fairly, effectively and promptly, and we will not treat you any different as a result of making a complaint.

Who can make a complaint?

Under the NHS Complaints Procedure a complaint can be made by a current or former service user, or someone who is affected by, or likely to be affected by, the actions of the Trust.

A complaint can also be made by someone acting on behalf of the service user or person, with their consent. If consent is not received, the complaint will still be investigated and a written response given. However, the response will not contain an individual’s personal health information.

How to make a complaint

If you would like to make a complaint you can contact us whichever way suits you best:

By writing to us: Complaints Team, Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust, Fulwood House, Old Fulwood Road, Sheffield, S10 3TH

By emailing us:

By calling us: 0114 2718956

A complaint must be made in writing or verbally within twelve months of an event or within twelve months of realising the effect of the event. 

Complaints made more than twelve months after an incident do not have to be investigated, however, there is discretion to extend this time limit where it would be unreasonable in the circumstances for the complaint to have been made earlier, and where it is still possible to investigate the facts of the case.

What next?

On receipt of your complaint we will write to you to outline an investigation plan which will include the action to be taken by an investigating officer and the anticipated timescale for responding to your complaint.

Your complaint will be investigated by a senior manager and you will receive a written response from the Chief Executive. Where it has not been possible for us to respond within the planned timescale, we will contact you with an update on the investigation and the reason for the delay.

Our response will include an apology, where appropriate, an explanation of the events surrounding the cause for complaint and details of any actions the Trust intends to take in order to prevent this from happening again.

Any recommendations made as a result of the investigation will be incorporated into an action plan which will be monitored closely.

What if I am unhappy with the Chief Executive’s response?

If you are dissatisfied with the response you receive please contact us and tell us why so we can try to resolve any remaining areas of concern.

We may arrange for you to meet with senior staff in an attempt to resolve your complaint.

If you remain unhappy, you can refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman using the details listed below.

Independent help when making a complaint

Independent help when making a complaint

Our complaints procedure has been made as straightforward as possible and we will make sure that you are kept informed at every stage. However, if you would like independent advice or assistance, you may wish to contact one of the following organisations:

Sheffield Advocacy Service
Telephone: 0800 035 0396

Healthwatch Sheffield
Telephone: 0114 253668

Care Quality Commission
Telephone: 0300 616161

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Telephone: 0345 0154033

Frequently asked questions

If I complain about a healthcare professional or a ward I am currently being treated on, will my complaint impact on my care in a negative way?

Your complaint will be dealt with fairly and impartially and there will be no repercussions on your care. Our Complaints Policy fully supports this.

Can I add further information to my complaint once the investigation has begun?

Certainly and we will pass on any further information received to the investigating officer.

Will I be contacted by the investigating officer once the investigation into my complaint has begun?

It is normal practice for investigating officers to contact the complainant directly in order to have a clear picture of your complaint and your desired outcome.

This can be over the telephone or face-to-face. If you do not wish to be contacted as part of this process please tell the Complaints Team.

I am making a complaint on behalf of someone else. Will consent be required?

If the person you are complaining on behalf of is over the age of 18, and the complaint refers to aspects of their care, we will require written consent from them as we will need access to personal information.

It would be helpful if you are making a complaint on behalf of someone else if you supply a written consent at the time you lodge the complaint.

Can I complain anonymously?

Yes. We will look at the concerns raised and consider the most appropriate way to take the complaint forward.

I disagree with the outcome of the investigation. Can I appeal the decision?

Yes. In the first instance please contact the Complaints Team. If after further attempts to resolve your complaint you remain dissatisfied you may at that stage refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman is independent of government and the NHS, and the service is confidential and free.

You can find out more about the support they offer at

I would like to make a compliment. How do I do this?

Simply email with your compliment and the name of the member of staff and we’ll pass it on!

Share this

Was this page useful?