All must be present for three months prior to referral to our service:
- Debilitating fatigue is dominant symptom, it is worsened by activity* and not relieved by rest
- Post-exertional malaise after activity - A significant, disproportionate often delayed and prolonged increase in symptoms
- Unrefreshing sleep or disturbed sleep
- Cognitive difficulties such as problems concentrating, word finding, short term memory issues, difficulty in speaking
- *Activity includes physical, cognitive, social, emotional exertion
- Individual is willing and able to engage with a Biopsychosocial treatment approach.
- Concurrent rehabilitation from another service
- Ongoing medical investigations to rule out other potential medical cause for symptoms
- Reversible causes of fatigue (e.g. medication, recent surgery)
- Primary mental health problem, including eating disorders
- Major psychiatric illness with psychotic or manic features
- Current alcohol/substance abuse
- Under 18, please refer to ME/CFS Service at Sheffield Children's Hospital.
Adults over 18 years of age can be referred directly to the ME/CFS Service by their GP. Referrals can only be made once the recommended screening test have been completed and a provisional diagnosis of ME/CFS has been made following a minimum four month period of sustained symptoms.
Geographical population covered
- Anyone registered with a GP in South Yorkshire or North Derbyshire