The Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy is a level 2 accredited course with the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).
The course is run by Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Trust and validated by Sheffield Hallam University.
Who is the course for?
The Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy is suitable for people in a number of different career pathways:
- It’s aimed at mental health workers with a core profession such as a social worker or nurse who want to take steps to become Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapists. For a list of core professions please visit the BABCP website.
- The course might also be a good fit for applicants who don’t have a professional qualification, but who have significant and substantial alternative mental health experience at an appropriate level. Applicants without a core profession will need to complete a Knowledge Skills and Attitudes Portfolio.
What will you gain from taking the course?
By completing the course, you will:
- Become a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist who is eligible for accreditation with the BABCP and able to apply for senior roles in the NHS and wider health care settings
- Gain the knowledge and skills needed to assess, formulate and treat people who are likely to benefit from Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy.
- Learn how to apply CBP to a wide range of presentations including complex mental health problem
- Develop as a clinical leader within Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy services and learn to be an autonomous practitioner in health and social care settings.
- Become skilled in the critical appraisal of knowledge as well as Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy clinical practice skills.
Why should you apply?
- 100% of graduates in the past two years have gone on to be employed as a CBP therapist at Band 7
- BABCP level 2 accreditation means that you can be assured that this course is of the highest standard and will ensure you meet the requirements for therapist accreditation once you have completed your studies
- Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Trust and Sheffield Hallam University have 18 years’ history of successfully training Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapists.
- Students on the course have full access to Sheffield Hallam University facilities and resources
- A two year part time course gives students the opportunity to consolidate their learning while developing their clinical skills
- You will learn how to work with common mental health problems such as anxiety disorders and depression as well as how to approach more complex presentations. The course includes teaching in research and leadership, so you’ll gain the skills required to apply for leadership roles in health and social care.
- The course is delivered by BABCP accredited experts in the field at Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Trust.
- Small group sizes facilitate group discussions and shared learning. You’ll get to know your tutor and receive bespoke support and teaching.
We welcome self-funding students or anyone funded via their organisation. Our current course fees are £4,200 per year which can be paid in instalments.
Unfortunately due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation we have made the difficult decision to cancel our course for 2020-21.
We hope to be able to deliver the course again in from September 2021. If you had a place confirmed for the 2021-21 academic year you have the option to defer your place to next year.
How to apply
Please note that we are not currently accepting applications for the course.
If you’re interested in the Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy, please download and read the application information.